Being in my kitchen is how I nurture the people that I love. I love to bring home to them food that we enjoy eating out. I’ve been making the Tashas Citrus Sunrise for years but its still my go-to brunch almost every 2 weeks.
Somethings you can never tire of, and that’s food that brings a little magic back into your own kitchen.
Here is my interpretation of the famed Sunrise.
For the Granola Shards:
- 2 cups of any store-bought Granola (free from any nut, seed or fruit)
- Half a cup of cocnut oil (this is the melted quantity)
- 2 tbl of runny honey
- 2 beaten egg whites
Using your hands, mix well and pat into a tray lined with baking paper. Bake on 120 degrees for 1 hour and then reduce the heat to 70 degrees for a further 30 minutes. Leave the set granola in the oven to cool with the door left ajar. Your shards are now ready to use for your smoothie or Brunch Dessert.
Notes: The egg white helps to bind the mixture and give it a crunch once baked and cooled.
For your Sehri Smoothie:
Quantity is based on 2 people sharing.
Soak 1 packet of Banana flavoured Instant Oats in warm water. This helps to plump it up. You can leave this soaked with the dates overnight if you’d like.
In a blender add:
- 4 pitted fleshy dates
- Half a cup of runny vanilla yogurt (vanilla drinking yogurt is preferred)
- 2 tbl of Rose-flavoured sugar syrup (made using a quarter cup of water boiled with a quarter cup of sugar and a few drops of rose water)
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- a shuck of granola shards
- Top with low fat milk
Blend well and dust with ground pistachio.
Tip: If you’re having guests over for Eid breakfast, you might want to consider setting this in smaller glasses and serving this as a starter to your Eid breakfast. Ideally a 3 tablespoon portion size would be recommended especially if you have many other dishes being served. Here’s how:
For the yogurt Cream:
- Whip 125ml fresh cream
- Whip 250ml double thick sweetened vanilla yogurt.
- Mix well and set aside
Layer the following until your glass is full:
- Granola shards
- Yogurt cream
- Banana slices
- Ground Pistachio
- Orange segments (peel removed. You can use grapefruit too, but I don’t particularly like it)
- Drizzle some of the Rose sugar syrup at each layer
Finish off with a granola shard, a drizzle of rose syrup and a sprinkle of pistachio.
Using the Chairman Home latest glassware collection. Shop here
Egg cups from Le Creuset. Shop here
Slate and gold stands from Angamias in the Plaza, or Greenside. View Instagram here.
Photography by Layla Shaik Photography